Thank you to all who took part. Results can be found below.
33 mile* Trail Race
The Marlborough Downs Challenge offers two events
20 mile* Trail Race
* Note that distances are approximate only.
The MDC is a beautiful yet challenging event, mostly off-road along tracks and footpaths. There is plenty of climbing - over 3000 feet for the 33 mile race. The routes take in some of the finest Wiltshire countryside including:
- The Wansdyke Path, Tan Hill Way, White Horse Trail, and Mid Wilts Way with superb views across the Vale of Pewsey West Woods and.
- Gopher Wood, with its amazing wild garlic.
- Two of the highest points in Wiltshire at Knapp Hill and Tan Hill, where the long and short courses diverge
Plus, on the 33-mile route:
- The Kennet & Avon Canal into Devizes
- Roundway Hill and Morgan's Hill
- Cherhill Monument and White Horse
Finally, the routes rejoin to pass through Avebury, with its pre-historic stone circle and views of Silbury Hill, then go via Overton and Fyfield Downs back to Marlborough Leisure Centre for showers and refreshments.)
Navigation & Safety.
All entrants will be sent a route description by email; copies will also be posted on this website. The Marlborough Downs Challenge courses are unmarked although there are some arrows for assistance at various points. Competitors are recommended to carry a map – the most appropriate is OS 1:25,000 Explorer Sheet 157 – and compass.
Suitable footwear must be worn or carried.
This is a primarily an off-road event often remote from public roads. Mobile phones may not work in all locations. Parts of the route can be muddy. Remember, if the weather is wet and/or cold at the Start then it will be very wet and very cold on the Downs. If it is sunny then don't forget to apply sunscreen.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY